Saturday 16 June 2012

Keep Calm and Carry On!


There are some days when everything feels under control – ‘some’ could mean just a few days in 30 or twenty in 30! Usually my days go along at a fair 40mph pace – no rush, no boredom, just getting things done.
 
And then everything happens at once and life gets hectic!

Take June and July for example.  The third week in July is Megan’s graduation and we’ve known that for some time, so the weekend’s accommodation is booked and Bella has been booked into the boarding kennels for the long weekend. Sorted.

For a few months now I’ve been volunteering at the local primary school helping with reading and English literacy, and Tuesday mornings have been the only ‘booked’ date on my weekly calendar.  However, suddenly there’s a meeting with the charity I’m volunteering with and a meeting with a family, a meeting with the team and a training session to fit in to the next few weeks, all with consideration for other people’s busy diaries, and although mine appears to be flexible, it turns out that everything needs to be done on that one day when I’m already booked!

On top of that my elderly mother would like a holiday and will we take her, she’ll pay!  With weekends booked and busy, the only time for a holiday is Monday to Friday and the sooner the better. So the first week in July is booked, and now my mind starts racing as what we need to take, considering the car boot will have a wheelchair, walker, three pieces of adult luggage, food bags and boxes (self-catering) and the fishing rod! Food! Got to plan meals for the week, and don’t forget to include lunches and breakfasts! And things to read! The dog! Rush off to the kennels to make sure they have room for Bella at short notice.


And, and, and,……… meet someone at the chapel at 3.30 for the plates; make sure the songs are all ready for Sunday, both projected and printed for those who like printed, Argh! Can’t find music to one! Panic! (I need music!) Find an old music book on eBay, bid, hope I get it but it still won’t get here by tomorrow! Relief! Found music at home!
 
Hubby picked up some BBQ ribs last night and has invited a friend for a braai later – means I should make potato salad, and green salad, and take the rolls out of the freezer, and …. I need to check the kiddie story for tomorrow morning, and the activity things ………. and …. and …. and …

It goes on! But to top it all is our car’s mischievous workings at this time of planning overload!

I knew the petrol was lowish when I set out for the boarding kennels this morning, but the guage said I had 70 miles left in the tank – plenty, the warning buzzer only comes on at 50.  Having booked Bella into the kennels I climbed back into the car and the guage quietly tells me I have 3 miles left in the tank! 3?! Home is about 4 miles away!  Does coasting down the one and only windy decline help preserve enough petrol to get me home?! But why did it suddenly drop from 70 to 3? Is the car going to grind to a sad stop on the narrowest part of this country road with wide tractors and double-decker busses whizzing past as the cars queue up behind the silly car stopped on the road?! 2 miles. Please get me home! Please get me home! 1 mile. Well I can at least walk home from here, but the car would still be in a vulnerable spot. 0 miles. Well at least I’ve got to the village. Keep going. As I turned into my road, the guage suddenly woke up and registered 60 miles!  Scream!!!  As if I didn’t have enough things to keep my brain buzzing today! 
 

Relax! Cup of coffee! Smile!

Maybe the 'Keep Calm and Carry On' craze has something in it!

Have a nice weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment