Wednesday 5 December 2012

First Snowday Blues of Winter 2012!




Yes it’s always pretty! Pretty cold actually!  





But come 11am and I need to go out in the car, in a hurry. Windscreen, backscreen, side windows, roof all under white cold stuff! I open driver’s door and an avalanche lands on the driver’s seat! Bother! Lean across to check car is in neutral, turn car on to switch on windscreen heater and melt snow. While that is happening, wipe snow off driver’s seat with scarf. Wipe majority of snow off windows with chamois, hope the seat heater will magically remove any wetness, adjust seat down, forward, (who drove this car last?!) ignition on. On? Php! Not even a deathly choke, just a Php! Bother!


“Honey! The car won’t start!”

He tries. Php! I phone my appointment and get venue changed to my house. Hubby says don’t worry he’ll get AA as he’s covered through a deal with the bank, but he doesn’t need to do it straight away, as it’s no longer an emergency.

About an hour later. Hubby goes out and car starts! Yay! Don’t need to phone AA. Another hour later, after a toast-and-peanut-butter-lunch, boots on to go out with hubby to buy new wiperblades (windscreepers – ask my kids!) and anti-freeze!

No snow on passenger seat this time. Seatbelt buckled, turn key, Php! Php!

Climb out – again, boots off, scarf off, jacket hung up. Tidy kitchen a bit, put butter away from toast lunch, put peanut butter away – drop peanut butter jar! Glass on kitchen floor, me in my socks. Shoo dog back out into lounge, get slip-on shoes from next to back door so I don’t cut my feet (even through three pairs of socks!) Slip-on shoes next to back door are wet! They are directly underneath somebody’s rain jacket, which dripped!

Hubby phones AA for help. “We can’t help you sir, because your contract with us does not include ‘Home Start’!” That is, if we were on the road, they’d help, but because we’re at Home, they can’t, or won’t! PHP! “If you pay £96 you can upgrade to a Home Start package!” £96! Not on your life!

Hubby stomps off to friend down the road, a retired mechanic, a very nice man! 

And I think I’ll just stay in front of my screen for the rest of the day. It’s more or less safe here – I think!

Oh, and men replacing roof. Scaffolding all around house, men stomping across roof, two vans in driveway. 



Time for an Aero Bubbles hot chocolate! 











(Just to clarify, none of these pics are from today!! Last two are Google stock photos, car is from a London winter and although the pic is about the same as today, the garden pic is from last year!!)

No comments:

Post a Comment